Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:28:30 +0000

Am Fr, den 09.04.2004 schrieb Erik Søe Sørensen um 1:46:
> Exercise, yes... nice, not really.

Well, I'd say you've learned some new things by now. ;-)

> - On my system, the check for clanJPEG failed when ClanLib 0.6 was
> installed in /usr/local . I think the linker tried to use the 0.7
> version of ClanLib instead (or maybe the check just doesn't like
> /usr/local - I don't know).

The check does like /usr/local and on my system it did work although
I've got both installed, what version of autoconf, automake do you use?

> - Making Pingus use my localization was another problem; I had to add
> this symbolic link to make it work:

The best way is to add your language to configure.ac prior to running
autogen.sh so that it gets built along with the others. If you then do a
make install instead of just running pingus from src/, it should be
found.

> Or is it just me who should learn m4,aclocal,auto{conf,make},gettext to
> know better before I can call myself a developer?

No, you should just use them in the intended way. I didn't know much
about them when I started working on Pingus either.

> (In that case, which open source projects constitute the Tutorial Island? :)

Any project with polite developers on the mailing list. ;-)