Re: [RP] Getting Through and Locking XTerm Width

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Getting Through and Locking XTerm Width
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:01:28 -0400

Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to lock the width/size of an XTerm so that I can have it
> in a frame that is wider than 132 columns, but the XTerm will remain 132
> columns wide?  I generally work with an XTerm and a Firefox open in a
> single frame on my desktop.  I like my Firefox being wide, but I don't
> want my XTerm any wider than 132 columns.

First, why do you want to do this?

Second, here's a possible solution:

here's a script that adjusts the right edge of ratpoison's display
area when the current window is an XTerm:

CUR=`$RATPOISON -c "windows %s,%c" | grep '\*'`
if [ x$CUR = 'x*,XTerm' ]; then
    $RATPOISON -c "defpadding 0 0 100 0"
else
    $RATPOISON -c "defpadding 0 0 0 0"
fi

then in your .ratpoisonrc file add this:

addhook switchwin exec /path/to/above/script

You need to be running at least ratpoison 1.4.0-beta2.

-Shawn