Re: GNU/Hurd section in webpages

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd section in webpages
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:27:22 +0000

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:10:56AM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:

> Your arguments made sense to me from the beginning.  The way I see
> debian is not that they promote non-free software, they just
> distribute it.  AFAIK they promote free software instead.

Thanks. I believe Debian could do better in a lot of things (like getting
rid of non-free completely), but most of us Debian developers dedicate our
effort in supporting free software rather than promoting non-free.

My opinion is that we should accept neither Debian or GNU are perfect, and try
to work together for our common goal instead of flaming each other with that
sort of stuff (read: GFDL).

> And how about Bee?  Did someone take a look at Bee and did someone
> contact some of the project member before drawing a conclusion?

According to Bee people the distribution itself is free software, it just
happens to have access to NetBSD's or Debian's archive which contain non-free
software.

IMHO, whatever reasoning you apply to Debian is also valid for Bee. I don't
know about Gentoo.

> IMHO we should put this stuff on the hurd.gnu.org website.  Robert,
> can you send in a patch?  After we got a patch we can discuss it for
> eternity or Marcus can say what he wants. :)

I could, but i'd prefer not sending it untill I'm sure someone would commit it.

So I'll wait a day or so to see if there's consensus, and confirmation from
anyone with CVS access that he/she is going to commit it.

> What is actually the main problem for the CD images?  I think it isn't
> that hard to upload them for someone with enough bandwidth.

Actualy, there's no problem with them. I just listed it as an example of the
Hurd website linking or referencing to Debian (and gnuftp hosting it!).

Since these images are Debian stuff, IMO they're something that should be
hosted within Debian, in a way that we (debian folks) can update them without
reliing on an external resource. This is not the matter of the discussion,
though.

> I'm sorry for asking for patches, but I really don't have time to do
> this myself.  And if I had time, it isn't very high priority for me.

No problem!

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)