Re: GNU/Hurd section in webpages

From: Thomas Edward Hart
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd section in webpages
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:04:51 -0400

I'm going to jump in on the "pro-linking to Debian" side.

I believe the website rules being discussed are at:

http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html

Specifically,

"# The FSF will install only free software on the GNU/FSF web server. We prefer that only free software be used to develop content for the GNU/FSF web server. # The GNU/FSF web server only lists and links only to free software. The software's source code and executables have to be freely redistributable and modifiable to and by all people, companies, and organizations. If in doubt, ask <address@hidden>."

Robert Millan wrote:

You are ignoring the first part of my mail, which referred to your policy of
not linking to websites which link to other websites which in some way
advertise or promote non-free software.

From the content of the GNU web pages, it seems that linking to sites that link to or promote non-free software is not the same as linking to non-free software. For example:
http://www.gnu.org/bulletins/bull18.html#SEC35
http://www.gnu.org/directory/All_Packages_in_Directory/deroff.html

These links link to or otherwise promote Debian.

There are also links to Red Hat:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/Software_development/prog/java/Mauve.html

The Debian GNU/Hurd Installation guide (based on Neal's "Hurd Installation
guide") is hosted on Debian GNU/Hurd website [1]. This is the guide you should
refer to for installing Debian GNU/Hurd.

[1] http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

If for some reason I can't afford to understand you don't want to link to
Debian GNU/Hurd website, there's not much I can do to help. When you want to
reasonably discuss the possibility of linking to Debian GNU/Hurd website from
the Hurd website, I'll be glad to hear your arguments.

I think including a link to Debian GNU/Hurd is consistent with previous GNU policy.

As for the prohibition on putting non-free software on the GNU ftp servers... is there any non-free software on the Debian GNU/Hurd CDs? Last I checked, there wasn't any, so putting the images up on the web server shouldn't violate the GNU web site creation guidelines.

Also, regarding the fact that there's no direct "Here's a GNU/Linux distribution" link on the GNU web pages, I should point out that GNU/Hurd is *much* more dependent on the support of the GNU project than GNU/Linux is!

-- Tom Hart