RE: [avr-chat] LCD corruption

From: Spencer Hollingum
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] LCD corruption
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:40:21 +0100

>On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:46 +0100, Spencer Hollingum wrote:
>> I have seen some COG( Chip on Glass) LCDs which were very
>susceptible
>> to radiated noise, no matter what HW solutions were tried.
>
>Hi Spencer,
>

>My project is going to work in a noisy (automotive)
>environment, and although it uses a simple text LCD module in
>its version, I have planned a second version with a graphic
>module. After checking www.farnell.com to see what's
>available, I am thinking of using a Batron COG display.
>Have you experienced, or heard of, problems with these ?
>Or do you mean that it affects randomly, any and all COG
>displays, regardless of brand and model ?
>

>Regards,

Hi Vince,

I don't know of any problems with the modules you are talking about (that's
not to say there aren't any).

This was one manufacturers 2x20 COG text module, though a competitors
product with presumably a different LCD module did exhibit the similar
faults. The fault was discovered during EMC susceptibilty testing, I can't
remember the exact test but its when a large static voltage is loosely
coupled to the DC supply leads of the product.
In fact just pulling off the protective plastic cover was enough to lock up
the display up in some cases.
The module manufacturer did make some improvements but the problem was not
completely solved.

Spencer