bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] i18n of Mandrake Linux

From: Abbas Izad
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] i18n of Mandrake Linux
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:09:39 +0000

Dear friends,

> Mandrake Linux has started an effort towards localisation and
> internationalisation of its distro.
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/teams.php3
>
> Persian/Farsi team is missing in this list!!!
But Farsi is in the list of Languages when you install Mandrake. You can not
select Farsi as the installation language because the installation program
(DrakX) has not been translated but you can select Farsi as the default
keyboard or interface.
In fact if you want to use KDE Farsi you have to it via Mandrake. There is not
KDE-fa package in Mandrake.
So this probably means there are no Persian volunteers and all the work for
Farsi is done by the Mandrake guys.

Mandrake guys has just take care of setting Farsi keymap and locale which somebody else (sherif Univ.) worked on! No translation at all available in Mandrake right now!

> I have been using Mandrake distro for couple of years and its support of
> hardware and user friendly approach is amasing! Beside, the company is
> French and this means no limitation exist if some Iranian company (like
> Chapar Shabdiz) decide to distribute it officially in Iran!
Mandrake is IMO the best for beginners and advanced users. Just because we are
computer scientist it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get the scanner
setup in minutes!

You are RIGHT! Time is too valuable to waste on figuring out how to setup your scanner!

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. HP is selling computers with Mandrake
(which I believe is the first brand name desktop to come with Linux) and
Wal-Mart was selling Mandrake (they don't anymore for some reason.)
Unfortunately my Farsi is not good enough for translating into Farsi (or even
using it) but I'd really like to see Mandrake in Farsi.

Your wish to see Mandrake in Farsi soon to be fulfilled.
I brought up this issue for two reasons, one to encourage people who want to work for thier country to step forward ( no matter who is in charge politically) and the second as an announcement

I waited some days to see if somebody is intressted in this but your respond here is the only one! Yesterday I took coordination roll of translation of Mandrake and I appreciate if you or anybody else
join me in this effort.

Thank you hooman for your respond! I guess you live outside of Iran, is that correct?

Best regards
Abbas

Hooman

--