bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Gecko in Konqueror?

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Gecko in Konqueror?
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:24:17 +0300

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 17:39, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> > I) Using kdebindings you can easily tell konqueror to use gecko
> > instead of khtml
>
> I found kdebindings but I could only find packages for older Mandrake
> versions so I thought maybe it is itegerated into another package. So
> I open File Associations and tried to add something besides KHTML
> into "Embedding" section but there is no other HTML viewer there.
>
> > II) Banking with khtml is still not that good. Feel free to file a
> > bug on kde.org sometimes, a developer might fix it

Why are you looking for binary packages. You can simply get it and
compile it. Give it a try dude!

> I have reported many bugs ... but until they fix it I still have some
> banking to do!

Agreed!

> > III) Having said these, I should say that khtml is a fine html
> > rendering engine, and in majority of cases is faster that gecko.
> > Remember that Apple Chose KHTML instead of Gecko to develop Safari
> > (which in my brief encounter with this borwser, it really is the
> > fastest browser on earth).
>
> I love KHTML but it is sort of incomplete (comparing to Gecko). I
> know Apple has release a change log that I hope KDE developers will
> use.

Apple's changes were released short after (as far as I remember) after
the release of KDE 3.1 They have now been merged in the KDE CVS and
willl be available in KDE 3.2. They will improve things, I have heard
that Apple has got 50 engeneers working around the clock just on khtml.
And they release all their code back to KDE. But still, don't expect
all banks to work with khtml. Many of them even don't work with Gecko
either, and are IE only.

Cheers

Aryan