Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:08:24 +0200

> So
> * Over the next week, Nct needs to setup Mecurial. While this is being
> done........

We haven't fixed some important modalities yet. Do we want a maintainer? If
not, how will we manage accounts?

I suggested to use the ones of the wiki. That would require using
www.globulation2.org server, which I think is not a problem. Does the person
who did this integration add mercurial authentification support (some hacks
with apache authentification)?

I could provide mirror usable for anonymous download.

> * All three will have their CVS folders removed, then a simple hg add and
> hg commit by Nct for the inital import will be done (as said by bradley in
> another email, loosing histroy is not a concern)

loosing history is, and I refuse to do any work for the switch if we are
loosing it (but I'm sure we there are several ways not to loose it). Past is
valuable.

> * Development will, from this day forward take place in Nct's Mucurial
> SCMS.

Again, you don't solve the maintainance issue. Switching to a distributed
system to keep the same development model, with an inferior management
infrastructure (I won't give ssh access to everyone and editing .htaccess by
hand is not realistic), is not such a great idea.

> Any comments, suggestions, or complants?? Otherwise, this will go ahead.

Complaints, yes. As you have seen I don't as much time for glob2 as I would
like to, and I don't like to be assigned jobs when I asked for fundamentals
questions that are being ignored.

Take care not to throw away the past too fast in a great moment of feeling
that the future will be easier and bug free. Sure there is a lot of things to
improve, sure actual stuff is not perfect. But it exists, and works. So when
doing revolutions, please think about all consequences. This applies as well
on infrastructure (mercurial switch which has to be done correctly) and code
(rewrites introduce bugs, throwing away a working code should be done on
sound bases).