Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:43:53 +0200

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Kieran P wrote:

> > We haven't fixed some important modalities yet. Do we want a maintainer?
> > If
> > not, how will we manage accounts?
>

> We do it the same way we have so far. One repository, multiple devs, people
> get access to it via ssh.

I don't want to give ssh access to everyone on my server. And even if I did,
we can't do exactly the same, savannah provides a huge infrastructure for
managing ssh users.

> The problem with this is glob2 wiki is currently not on a host that can add
> Mercurial I do not think. Its on a temp, which the host is a bit picky about
> bandwidth.  So it has to be somewhere else. Since Savannah does not yet
> support mercurial, we have to use you server Nct. But we could just have
> Apple transfer the right information to you then who can access
> globulation2.org, can also access say http://glob2.magnenat.net/   which
> would be the mercurial url.

The fact the host si temporary is a good reason not to use it. Yet the account
problem remains.

> Ok. Well, when alpha23 is out, cvs is turned to read only, and you download
> CVS, if you can import history into mercurial by any means,  within 48 hours
> (taking weeks is pointless), then by all means do it.

Well, I've tons of others things to do in life (such as a PhD...), sorry my
time is not fully devoted to glob2. And even if I find time to do it, the
account problem is not solved yet (see below).

> Again, you don't solve the maintainance issue. Switching to a distributed
> > system to keep the same development model, with an inferior management
> > infrastructure (I won't give ssh access to everyone and editing .htaccess
> > by
> > hand is not realistic), is not such a great idea.
>

> Dont give ssh access to everyone. Allow anonymous commits if you can. It is
> a revisions system after all :P If someone is malicious, revert the changes
> :P

That would be a solution. Anyone voting for it?

> Complaints, yes. As you have seen I don't as much time for glob2 as I would
> > like to, and I don't like to be assigned jobs when I asked for
> > fundamentals
> > questions that are being ignored.
>

> And which questions are they? Many of the details are already worked out. It
> just up to you know to setup mercurial and get access to the right people.
> It couldn't be simpler IMO.

I don't know how to setup mercurial but I know reading so I can do it, with
enough time. In addition, the user access is not a trivial problem, even if
anonymous access could solve the problem.

> Again, if you can keep history, do it. CVS will remain readable, just not
> writable, and development should connitue without any problems if everything
> is done right. Bradley has no problem with Murcurial, I have no problems. So
> whats stopping the movement?

I don't want to stop anything, just do it right and not in rush.

I have the feeling you do not realise that pushing work on very loaded people
while discarding  as non-existant the issue they presentedis at best very
impolite.