Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Well, we have a plan then.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:36:04 +1200

We haven't fixed some important modalities yet. Do we want a maintainer? If
not, how will we manage accounts?

We do it the same way we have so far. One repository, multiple devs, people get access to it via ssh.

I suggested to use the ones of the wiki. That would require using
www.globulation2.org server, which I think is not a problem. Does the person
who did this integration add mercurial authentification support (some hacks
with apache authentification)?

The problem with this is glob2 wiki is currently not on a host that can add Mercurial I do not think. Its on a temp, which the host is a bit picky about bandwidth.  So it has to be somewhere else. Since Savannah does not yet support mercurial, we have to use you server Nct. But we could just have Apple transfer the right information to you then who can access globulation2.org, can also access say http://glob2.magnenat.net/   which would be the mercurial url.

I don't see why editing apache, .htaccess, or other types of files would be needed, or why we should only have one person committing.

loosing history is, and I refuse to do any work for the switch if we are
loosing it (but I'm sure we there are several ways not to loose it). Past is
valuable.

Ok. Well, when alpha23 is out, cvs is turned to read only, and you download CVS, if you can import history into mercurial by any means,  within 48 hours (taking weeks is pointless), then by all means do it.

Again, you don't solve the maintainance issue. Switching to a distributed
system to keep the same development model, with an inferior management
infrastructure (I won't give ssh access to everyone and editing .htaccess by
hand is not realistic), is not such a great idea.

Dont give ssh access to everyone. Allow anonymous commits if you can. It is a revisions system after all :P If someone is malicious, revert the changes :P

Complaints, yes. As you have seen I don't as much time for glob2 as I would
like to, and I don't like to be assigned jobs when I asked for fundamentals
questions that are being ignored.

And which questions are they? Many of the details are already worked out. It just up to you know to setup mercurial and get access to the right people. It couldn't be simpler IMO.

Take care not to throw away the past too fast in a great moment of feeling
that the future will be easier and bug free. Sure there is a lot of things to
improve, sure actual stuff is not perfect. But it exists, and works. So when
doing revolutions, please think about all consequences. This applies as well
on infrastructure (mercurial switch which has to be done correctly) and code
(rewrites introduce bugs, throwing away a working code should be done on
sound bases).

Again, if you can keep history, do it. CVS will remain readable, just not writable, and development should connitue without any problems if everything is done right. Bradley has no problem with Murcurial, I have no problems. So whats stopping the movement?

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/