Re: [glob2-devel] why the big hurry to make release candidate official?

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] why the big hurry to make release candidate official?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:09:07 +0100

"Martin Voelkle" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/18/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Why the hurry to make the release candidate official?
>>
>> Why not some testing first?  A week of at least half a dozen people
>> actually using the release candidate would be a good idea, especially
>> because the hope is that 0.8.23 will be usable for many months.

>> Anyway, I have some crashing bugs that need to be filed in the bug
>> tracker and checked out.  Please give me some time to do so.
>
> It's a release candidate for an alpha version. It is perfectly fine if
> there are still issues, as long as they are fixed for the final
> (alpha) release.

My concern is not with the procedure.  My concern is with the duration
of the procedure.  2 days between making the release candidate and the
official release is very short.  1 week would be better.

"Kieran P" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, the release cycle is weird. It seems pointless to me to have people
> download a tagged release then make version test those etc. Its just eaiser to
> download cvs, test, then if no problems, then tag and release all in one go
> (no
> RC).

Same response as above.  I am only concerned about the duration.  I
think 2 days (the “48 hours” maximum you referred to) is too short.

--
Joe