Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:24:09 +0200

> I have enough bandwidth but the disk space is rather limited.

Then we should leave maps and data on globulation2.org.

> The whole idea of mercurial is distributed development.

Mercurial: a fast, lightweight Source Control Management system
designed for efficient handling of very large distributed projects.

> So if contributors publish their repositories on their own web sites
> and there is an official maintainer who merges into the official
> upstream regularly, we can imagine putting everything on
> www.globulation2.org.

I don't have my own website.
And not all wobsite servers support mercurial.
When the official maintainer is very busy or in vacation or leaves the
project we get stuck.
Without merging the MAIN branch into the local development branches regularly
merging will be much more difficult.
Sending patches per email is supported, but is depreciated.

I'd prefer using bazaar over having a repository maintainer.
We would take most of mercurials easy-to-use-quality away, if we
complicate the way we commit.

> I could then provided a backup copy of this rep (and do debian
> nightly build) and as the system is distributed, branching off it is
> perfectly ok.

Backup would only be useful as a mirror to reduce bandwidth, because
every mercurial user has the whole repository.  But I don't think
there will be much traffic unless we are in a release process.