Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:07:51 +0200

>> Then we should leave maps and data on globulation2.org.
>

> I guess. But Nct has more bandwidth I think, so whats about 20mb?

He said his disk size is rather limited.

> When the official maintainer is very busy or in vacation or leaves the
>> project we get stuck.
>

> Why is this a case? Its not like that atm with CVS.  Why should it be any
> different? Remember that switching SCMS was for better support of branching
> and merging, not to have code scattered over the net further.

Merging is much better.  But sometimes a developer will have to merge
manually.  When you just wrote that code it is simple.  Annoying but
simple.

> I'd prefer using bazaar over having a repository maintainer. We would take
>> most of mercurials easy-to-use-quality away, if we complicate the way we
>> commit.
>

> Bazaar I've heard isn't supported on Windows. And that could be quite a bit
> of trouble.

No, that is not true:  http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download

Downside on bazaar is that it isn't as nice as mercurial.
It is notably slower, it doesn't look as good.  It has many many additional
features, but some are unmaintained and don't work.
Mercurial is better, but we have to get a convenient hosting solution.