Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:39:46 +0200

> I think putting the data and maps on Savannah is both an improvement and a
> regression. It is an improvement because then anyone can update them and a
> regression because it is not possible to sync new versions, old ones need to
> be deleted.

That is bad.  If someone wants to do a lot of graphics for us, he will be
detained by that.

> For the maps, we do not commit them now as they might be invalidated in the
> future. For the future, I suggest providing very few maps with glob2 but
> adding a maps browser that can download them from the web on demand.

This makes sense.

> If the mercurial rep gets too big, we split binary files out of it again or
> reconsider hosting solution.

Do you mean remove the binary data part of the repository history?
I don't know if that is easy.

> Does everyone agrees?

I like having the binary data in the same repositories as the
code, because it makes revisions consistent.
But I dislike it for it's mostly different development done
by different people the then source coders.  And in our case
making the repositories unneccessary large.
Different repositories are better.
Also there can be an alternative graphics repository.
You simply choose to pull from the repository that you want.
If the graphic developer later things that he can't produce
a coherent atmosphere, he can remove the repository and that's
it.

We also could try to mix this.
If a graphic has no special effect on the code, it will be developed
in a separate overlay repository.  Or maybe we can use patch queues for
this.  I don't know much about them.