Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:07:27 +0200

> We can also continue doing as we do now. If not, what do you prefer?

Hard to say.  Generally the way we do it now will break old glob2.
When we change the map file structure and replace all our old maps
with new ones alpha23 and earlier will not be playable.
The same is true for all future changes in data format.

I therefore think we must put it (or a core part) in a repository.

Hey wait.  Are the maps and data compressed.
Of course not.  Maybe they are much smaller in the repository.
Ok, just tried that: 22mb for the whole repository with data,
maps and campaigns. 7.6mb without.
Maybe if we store the maps in zip files they will be no future problem.
gzip was very effect on map sizes, zip should be too.

Sorry, I'm too tired.
I guess our workforce is small enough that we can use one
repository for all branches including data.  Might be the best
for our situation.  But we should not include all the maps now.
Just a convenient sized subset.
Or better I'll test the sizes again.  Maybe maps were compressed
pretty well by mercurial and the data directory resulted in the
size tripling.