[Gnu-arch-users] Re: mail user agent wars was: tla 1.4

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: mail user agent wars was: tla 1.4
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:08:58 +0900

Anand Kumria <address@hidden> writes:
> Or, instead of trying to beat up everyone because their mail user agent
> (MUA) doesn't follow your favourite mail header you could instead follow
> the standard (RFC2822) and set your 'Reply-To:' to the appropriate address
> list.
>
> Also, keep in mind that both Reply-To and (the pointless) Mail-Follow-Up
> header convey preferences of the author.  MUAs must be free to override
> them.

replies, whereas Reply-To: is for "private" replies.  If you never wish
to receive private replies, I suppose you could set Reply-To: and a
typical MUA would cope, but many people wish to preserve this
distinction in a way that degrades gracefully (e.g. sending duplicate
messages instead of sending messages to an unexpected destination).

-Miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]