Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:25:25 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:28:44PM -0600, Richard Todd wrote:
> Searching with google, I found a pretty good sounding proposal from 2001
> by Martin Grabmueller for reorganizing ice-9 into a hierarchy a lot like
> what I was working towards.  It even happened to have some of the same
> names like (math primes) in it!  It was addressing other topics I have
> yet to bring up, but planned to, such as putting srfi capabilities in
> named modules and making (srfi srfi-XX) the alternate interface.

For features that are not defined in any SRFI, why not build on other
schemers' experience rather than write whole new interfaces?  Bigloo,
for instance, already has clean interfaces for various things including
bit manipulation, dates, object serialization, fair threads (à la GNU
Pth), parsing, etc.  It would also greatly contribute to portability
among Scheme interpreters and compilers.

My two cents.

Ludovic.