Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:46:26 -0500

Hi Trevor,
Took me a couple of days longer to get to this than I planned.  Sorry
for the delay.  Zip of new versions attached.  Believe it addresses
all issues from rietveld.

-- All scheme functions now have docstrings.
-- All ly:warnings have (_i "warning text")
-- All module names begin with "modal-transforms"
-- \modalInversion now has 2 required pitch arguments per our discussions.

I've also made the argument naming consistent throughout the scheme
and music functions.

Transpose is now
\modalTranspose from to scale music

and inversion is now
\modalInversion around to scale music

so that
\displayLilyMusic \modalInversion e' f'  {c d e f g a b} { c'4 e' g' }

yields {a' f' d'},

i.e. modally inverted "around" e' and then modally transposed
so that e' moves "to"  f'.

Notice that modalInversion  has the argument order changed since our
last discussion  where were considering  "from  pivot" because as I
played with the functions I found it slightly confusing to mentally
map the outcome to the arguments.  I think the new names and order are
easier to think about (in English at least).  Hope this seems ok to
everyone.
Again, thanks for your encouragement and help!

Cheers,
Mike