Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:12:52 -0800

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:43:38 -0800, <address@hidden> wrote:

not a patch comment, but I'm intrigued -- how often do you think that
people use automatic ties?

I had never used them or seen them used.
But the moment I started playing with \retrograde, on a melody that did not
fill an integral number of measures, I wanted automatic ties.

 And why does this code work with the
Completion_heads_engraver but not manual ties?

Only the starting points of ties are stored in the internal representation, as
seen with \displayMusic.  After the music is reversed, the tie event is
attached to the second note rather than the first, so it breaks.  This is in
contrast to slurs which have a begin and an end event, thoughtfully reversed by
the code implementing \retrograde.

If we choose to depend on automatic ties, we can simply write long note-values,
which have no problem with being reversed, and let the engraver set the ties on
the result.

-Keith