Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:00:32 -0000

Keith wrote Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:22 AM

http://codereview.appspot.com/4126042/diff/5002/ly/music-functions-init.ly#newcode465
ly/music-functions-init.ly:465: modalInversion =
Since it is an operator, should it be a verb, modalInvert ?
The distinction between \transpose and \transposition is so tricky, that
I think it worth being careful in similar items.
\modalTranspose is the right name because it is an operation as is
\transpose

Inadvertently I omitted to respond to this on Rietveld.

While I take your point, \modalInvert doesn't quite sound
right to me, and that makes it harder to remember.  The
modifier should really be adverbial, \modallyInvert, if
a verbal form is to be used.  That's a bit longer though.
And if we make that change I guess we should use
\modallyTranspose too, which is even longer.

So I'm undecided and made no change at this time.  Let's
see if any other opinion is expressed first.

Trevor