Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:28:49 +0100

>> IIRC, "diatonic" can refer to any church mode.
>>
>> Let me rephrase / alter my initial suggestion: might it be worth
>> having some predefined scales for actually well-defined scales?
>> Like \major or \locrian or the like?  They could go in a new
>> ly/*-init.ly file, or maybe something in scm/.  Something like
>> "define-scales-init.ly" ?
>
> Well, we could, but each scale would be specific to a single
> key.  We could choose to define \major in the key of C and
> expect users to use \transpose to generate scales in other
> keys, but as Keith pointed out that is hardly shorter than
> writing out the desired scale anyway.  And what key would you
> chose for \minor?  Am or Cm?  And to distinguish the several
> minor scales the names would need to be longer still.
>
> The scales of the various "church" modes appear to have several
> variants, apart from being key-specific, although I confess to
> being pretty ignorant here.

I think for these purposes all church modes are equivalent.
the different minor scales are truly different.

> For pentatonic scales there are even more in common use,
> I believe.  Even the five black-key scales are all distinct.

but are equivalent, just as the church modes are equivalent
for diatonic transpositions and mirroring.

(I'm waiting eagerly for these features, no matter whether there
are preinstalled definitions in -init.ly files or not; they are a lot nicer
than my hacks for diatonic mirroring!)