Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:39:46 -0000

Benkő Pál wrote Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:28 PM

I think for these purposes all church modes are equivalent.
the different minor scales are truly different.

Don't some church modes have an optional flat?

For pentatonic scales there are even more in common use,
I believe. Even the five black-key scales are all distinct.

but are equivalent, just as the church modes are equivalent
for diatonic transpositions and mirroring.

Of course, you're right about the black-key scales, which
is the pentatonic scale I've used.  But they can still be
defined with different note names.  Which would we choose?

(I'm waiting eagerly for these features, no matter whether there
are preinstalled definitions in -init.ly files or not; they are a lot nicer
than my hacks for diatonic mirroring!)

I think the revision is pretty well complete now.  If
there are no further comments I'll push this on Saturday.
All the comments have been on the documentation anyway.
Mike's code looks good.

Whatever we decide about defining some scales I'd want
to make that a separate patch anyway, so we don't have
to wait for this discussion to crystallise.

Trevor