bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] GCC How to

From: Seyyed Mehdi Sheikhalishahi
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] GCC How to
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:48:37 +0430

I like rude people.I think it's better to force a person that don't know something to train himself instead of question from somebody that know that.
Aryan Ameri wrote:
Hi there:

I am not going to defend myself, though I got bashed really bad. Some
like Kaveh only politely reminded me that I was rude, and it is better
if I become more tolerable. Some like Amin, well, were ruder than me.

But, the point is, aside from the two Arash(es) which generaly supported
my idea, I beleive everybody else misunderestood me. I didn't want to
sound rude, I am not unfriendly towards newibies; I only pointed out
that there are things that one should do before asking a question from
a ML. Amin, people usually don't respond to a RTFM the way you did. My
message was a simple RTFM, it was only a good RTFM because in it I also
mentioned where to look for the answer.

Mehdi (The OP), please tell me which one is easier? typing "man gcc" on
the console? Or sending a message to the ML?

I am not gonna continue this, because Eric Raymond has already written
the perfect thing, regarding ho w to ask questions: Here is a part of
ESR's essay:

The first thing to understand is that hackers actually like hard
problems and good, thought-provoking questions about them. If we
didn't, we wouldn't be here. If you give us an interesting question to
chew on we'll be grateful to you; good questions are a stimulus and a
gift. Good questions help us develop our understanding, and often
reveal problems we might not have noticed or thought about otherwise.
Among hackers, "Good question!" is a strong and sincere compliment.

Despite this, hackers have a reputation for meeting simple questions
with what looks like hostility or arrogance. It sometimes looks like
we're reflexively rude to newbies and the ignorant. But this isn't
really true.

What we are, unapologetically, is hos tile to people who seem to be
unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions.
People like that are time sinks — they take without giving back, they
waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and
another person more worthy of an answer. We call people like this
"losers" (and for historical reasons we sometimes spell it "lusers").

We realize that there are many people who just want to use the software
we write, and have no interest in learning technical details. For most
people, a computer is merely a tool, a means to an end; they have more
important things to do and lives to live. We acknowledge that, and
don't expect everyone to take an interest in the technical matters that
fascinate us. Nevertheless, our style of answering questions is tuned
for people who do take such an interest and are willing to be active
p articipants in problem-solving. That's not going to change. Nor should
it; if it did, we would become less effective at the things we do best.

For those who haven't already read "How To Ask Smart Questions" by ESR,
please do so by going to http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Cheers