Re: [glob2-devel] New wiki site

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New wiki site
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:11:05 +0100

Hi,

But Wikipedia isn't a game! Sure to build a documentation, WikiMedia is self-sufficient. But imo a game implies a community which has different needs, such as more discussion oriented tools.

Well, it looks difficult to argue that wp is not discussion oriented, given the size of the flamewars on certain articles ;-)

> The question is: is IRC
sufficient for the glob2 gamers community?

IRC is perfect for online speech. Forum aims at offline speech, but I think that a wiki with some structure can also fits this goal. Of course, the wiki is more prone to text deletion and destruction but MediaWiki also provides much more tools then forums to fight them. Phpbb, for instance, is very very bad in case of attack: we had some at EPFL and we had to put the forum down.

> And: do you really want such
a community yet, or do you only want a developer community for now?

Yes we do want a full gamers community. Glob2 will only live if people play it, that's critical. We have to move out of the protected development model we had in the first 5 years. It allowed us to have a more or less coherent and very featured code base but now we have to open ourself otherwise the project will die.