Re: [glob2-devel] New wiki site

From: MUNTEANU Olimpiu Andrei
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New wiki site
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:54:57 +0100

Yes we do want a full gamers community. Glob2 will only live if people play it, that's critical. We have to move out of the protected development model we had in the first 5 years.

The people will play it if there is a simple web site with screenshots and if the game is stable and can run also on slower computers.

The people will contribute if there are players but also if there is a community and the code is easy to understand.1

The protected dev model was:
   - for players, there was a non-wiki site and a forum for colaboration
- for developpers there was the mailing list and the forum for colaboration

The best should be to split the project in two:
- for players: - new madiawiki with guides and contributions usefull for players (maps, not jpegs...) at globulation2.com. I think we can create a page for sugestions (with archives of old discussions) on the wiki for players.
               - #glob2
   - for developpers:
               - mailing list on savannah
               - bug tracking on savannah
               - #globulation2
- I sugest using mediawiki for developpers and maybe creating a diferent side bar and default skin for this part in order to make it clear it is for developpers.

I think the old forum is not neaded anymore.

I sugest to host the forum anywere (on a server not important), as we can read old sugestions, but do not alow posting of new messages. This will only help developpers to remember old messages on the forum.

If the comunity of players grows and there is a nead for a forum, it will be created later from scratch only for players because developpers have the mailing list (using maybe other forum software). µHaving a forum for only a few players is confusing. A discussion page on mediawiki is enaught.

Contributions of maps should be tar.gz/tar.bz2 -ed and uploaded to mediawiki manualy. Other contributions also, but they will finaly go into the CVS maybe....

It allowed us to have a more or less coherent and very featured code base but now we have to open ourself otherwise the project will die.

Steph

Well, if you want to know about QT, look at http://boson.eu.org/index.php because they built it on top of the KDE, Qt and kdegames libraries

Also about the source code:
- lines are too long: someone should use an automatc program that will restructurate the hole code and with lines not longer than 80 caracters. Also the tab should be only 2 characters (4 or 6 is too much i think). - documentation of the structure of types used for data and interface functions: this is more difficult to make, so i will not stress on this too much.