Re: [GNUe] packages?

From: Adrian Maier
Subject: Re: [GNUe] packages?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:44:53 +0200

Reinhard Mueller wrote:
Am Do, 2004-03-18 um 16.54 schrieb Stefan Elwesthal:

You can verify it like this: you run the python interpreter and you just write: import pg If it doesn't give any error, it means that you have indeed the pygresql module. And you'll have to change in the connections.conf: provider=postgresql

that should have been

provider=pygresql

This piece of information is very important:
<quote>
  Since there are 4 different python bindings for postgresql,
  "provider=postgresql" selects one of them more or less randomly (we
  will try to improve the automatic choice in a later version)

  To be sure to use the correct driver, you must set provider= to either
  popy, psycopg, pypgsql or pygresql.
</quote>

If you look into the README.databases file ( in the gnue-common directory ), you'll see there written that for
using the pygresql provider you have to write:
provider=postgresql

This misinformation *needs* to be FIXED in the README.databases file,
because it is likely that many people can have problems because of
this.
(Now I suspect that I was in fact using the popy driver, even though
i wanted to use pygresql:    in the traceback i had seen "popy",
but ignored it.  Probably that's why i couldn't make gnue-forms
work  !   )

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Thanks anyway, GNUe is probably not for me, I'm faster with Java /
JDBC or plain pyGTK!

It's quite natural that you're faster installing stuff that is natively
included in your distribution.

Thanks,